The Wandle Early Reading Showcases are free, half day training events where senior leaders can see and share best practice in phonics and early reading.
These are taking place on:
What will it provide?
An opportunity to share best practice in the teaching of systematic, synthetic phonics including:
- Introduction to the work of the DfE’s 34 English Hubs
- Opportunity to watch and discuss a full phonics lesson in Reception and Year 1
- Opportunity to watch and discuss a decodable group reading lesson
- Time to reflect with other professionals
- Support with creating your own action plan to evaluate and identify next steps with reading provision at your school
- Guidance on accessing further support from the Wandle English Hub including access to funding for training and decodable books
Who can attend?
There are two places at this event for each school. These places must be taken by the headteacher and phonics lead or EY/KS1 senior teacher to ensure maximum impact.
Fully-funded places are available for schools in one of the Wandle English Hub’s 16 boroughs who meet two of the following criteria:
- Less than 82% in PSC in 2019
- A higher than average proportion of pupils reading below age-related expectations
- Pupil premium above 22%
- Ofsted judgement of Requires Improvement or Inadequate